Saturday, May 2, 2009

2 year appt

Well, yesterday Leyla and Quinn had their 2 year well-check visit. This is the first well visit they have not needed shots--yeah! They are both such busy bodies. As we were waiting for the doctor and then talking to the doctor, both of them (especially Quinn) though climbed on everything (chairs, stools, the patient table) and pulled out every toy they stored in the room. The doctor, who is very down to earth and kind, said, "I can just imagine what your house looks like after a day of playing!" We laughed and Tycho replied, "Yeah, it looks like a tornado blew through!" So you are not dismayed, we picked up everything there before we left. ;0)

I am a little concerned about their language, as they do not have as many words as 2 years old should, at least according to the books. However, I am also appear that since we are raising them bilingually, this might be why. When I mentioned my concern to our pedi, she acknowledged their language was a little behind, but she thinks it will explode in the next few months, and that speech therapy is really more to work on pronunciation than vocabulary. I have been reading online about all this as well, and that seems accurate.

According to this website, http://www.multilingualchildren.org/index.html

As in all aspects of baby skills, there are great individual differences. Some babies start this vocabulary explosion, so-called 'fast mapping,' at 18 months, while others wait until well after 24 months. This word explosion coincides with increased activity in parts of the brain involved in storing and retrieving vocabulary.

Even if you start learning languages before age 7, the optimal period is between the ages of 0-3. Why? Brain imaging studies show that languages in bilingual infants are stored closer together in the brain than in later bilinguals.

I taught with someone in Vegas who also raised her daughter bilingually, and what this website says held true for her too. She was a little behind in vocabulary/speech from 18 months to 3 years, but then by 3, she was fluent in both languages. So I believe by 3, they will be fairly caught up, and hopefully fluent in both, which is a great desire of ours.

Regarding their measurement stats...
Leyla weighed 26.8 lbs (50%) and measured 35.25" tall (80%)
Quinn weighed 26 lbs (25%) and measured 33.75" (25%)

As I type this, they are playing with one of their new favorite things...puzzles. They seem love to them and are becoming quite the pros (at least the ones we own and they do a million times). ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment